Tuesday, December 7, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS C/CPO ROBERT FERGUSON

Cadet Ferguson correctly answered three of the five questions asked below.  The correct answers are provided in red

1.  You are the navigator on the USS Neversail. Why would you send one of your quartermasters to get a can of relative bearing grease? ("RBG")  Relative bearing grease, like HT punches, boxes of grid squares, and mail buoys do not exisit.  Hence, you might send a new sailor to find a can of RBG as a gentle joke on the new guy.

2.  Is there such a thing as left-handed monkey wrench?  Yes there is, Richard Mckenna made one--see his short story the "Left Handed Monkey Wrench."

3.  I ask "How long have you been a Cadet"? What do you answer?


All me bloomin' life, sir! Me mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Seaweed and barnacles are me clothes. Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike; the hair on me head is hemp. Every bone in me body is a spar, and when I spits, I spits tar! I'se hard, I is, I am, I are.  [The correct answer may be found in the Rocks and Shoals page of our unit website.]



4.  Why are there no crow's feet on ships? (At least in theory--in practice, of course, there are often many.)

A crow's foot is a device used to turn a sticking or tight valve hand wheel.  Theya re illegal because they could damage the valve. [This was a gimme.]

5.  What would you find in the ship's manger?  Anchor chain.  [This was a hard one.]

Good luck!

No comments: